- Westermann, Mariët. The Amusements of Jan Steen: Comic Painting in the Seventeenth Century. Zwolle: Waanders, 1997
- Chapman, H. Perry, Wouter Th. Kloek, and Arthur K. Wheelock, Jr. Jan Steen: Painter and Storyteller. Washington: National Gallery of Art, 1996.
- Gulick, Rosalie van. "Jan Steen's history paintings and Dutch art theory: comments and corrections by Gerard de Lairesse." Simiolus: Netherlands Quarterly for the History of Art 39, no.4 (2017): 388-99.
- Suchtelen, Ariane van. Jan Steen's Histories. Zwolle: Waanders Publishers, 2018.
- Siegal, Nina. "Burlesquing the Bible: Jan Steen's Lesser-Known History Paintings at the Mauritshuis." Art+Auction 41, no.2 (2018): 18-22.
- Lehmbeck, Leah, editor. Gifts of European Art from The Ahmanson Foundation. Vol. 3, Dutch Painting, Flemish Painting, Spanish Painting and Sculpture. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2019.
- Sedelmeyer, Charles. Illustrated catalogue of 300 paintings by old masters of the Dutch, Flemish, Italian, French, and English schools, being some of the principal pictures which have at various times formed part of the Sedelmeyer Gallery. Paris: Printed for Ch. Sedelmeyer by Lahure, 1898.
- Kirschenbaum, Baruch David. The Religious and Historical Paintings of Jan Steen. New York: Allanheld & Schram, 1977.
Conisbee, Philip et al. The Ahmanson Gifts: European Masterpieces in the Collection of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1991.
- Wenley, Robert, Nina Cahill, and Rosalie van Gulick. Pride & Persecution: Jan Steen's Old Testament Scenes. Birmingham: The Barber Institute of Fine Arts; London: Paul Holberton Publishing, 2017.