Probably Cardinal Girolamo I Colonna (1604–1666), bequeathed 1666 to his nephew; Lorenzo Onofrio Colonna (1637–1689), bequeathed 1689 to; Carlo Barberini (1630–1704), by descent to; Francesco Barberini (1662–1738). (Sale, Florence, Sotheby’s, 22–23 Oct. 1974, lot 38, as Italian school, 17th century). [French & Co., New York, by 1981, sold 1984 to]; LACMA.
- Spike, John T. A brush with passion: Mattia Preti (1613-1699): paintings from North American collections in honor of the 400th anniversary of his birth. Williamsburg, VA: Muscarelle Museum of Art, 2013.
- Lehmbeck, Leah, editor. Gifts of European Art from The Ahmanson Foundation. Vol. 1, Italian Painting and Sculpture. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2019.
- Lavin, Marilyn Aronberg. Seventeenth-Century Barberini Documents and Inventories of Art. New York: New York University Press, 1975.
- Schaefer, Scott, and Peter Fusco. European Painting and Sculpture in the Los Angeles County Museum of Art: an Illustrated Summary Catalogue. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1987.
Conisbee, Philip et al. The Ahmanson Gifts: European Masterpieces in the Collection of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1991.
- Gozzano, Natalia. "Mattia Preti's Colonna-Barberini 'St. Veronica.'" The Burlington Magazine 140, no. 1145 (1998): 559-561