Baldessari played an important role as a widely respected mentor and teacher at the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) and the University of California, Los Angeles between 1970 and 2008.
Wall label, 2021.
Engler, Martin, ed. John Baldessari: The Städel Paintings. Munich: Hirmer, 2015.
- Tuchman, Maurice. Ten Years of Contemporary Art Council Acquisitions: Inaugurating The New Contemporary Art Galleries. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1973.
- A Focus on California: Selections from the Collection. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1984.
- Grundberg, Andy; Gauss, Kathleen McCarthy. Photography and Art: Interactions Since 1946. Fort Lauderdale, Florida: Museum of Art; Los Angeles, CA: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1987.
- Barron, Stephanie, Michel Draguet, and Sara Cochran. Magritte and Contemporary Art: The Treachery of Images. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Belgium: Ludion, 2006.
- Mark, Lisa Gabrielle; Paul Schimmel, eds. Under the Big Black Sun: California Art 1974-1981. Los Angeles: Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles; Munich; New York : DelMonico Books-Prestel, 2011.