Press the play button below to find out why the painting was so novel for its day, as you look at it more closely.
- Hilaire, Michel, and Paul Perrin, eds. Frédéric Bazille (1841-1870) and the Birth of Impressionism. Paris: Flammarion, 2016.
- Monet / Boudin. Madrid: Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, 2018.
- Donahue, Kenneth. X, a Decade of Collecting: 1965-1975. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1975.
Brettell, Richard et al., A Day in the Country: Impressionism and the French Landscape. Los Angeles: Los Angeles Museum of Art, 1984.
- Schaefer, Scott, and Peter Fusco. European Painting and Sculpture in the Los Angeles County Museum of Art: an Illustrated Summary Catalogue. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1987.
- Conisbee, Philip; Judi Freeman; and Richard Rand. Monet to Matisse: French Art in Southern California Collections. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1991.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art Members' Calendar 1991. vol. 28-29, no. 12-1 (December, 1990-January, 1992).