Jan Carel Elias (1837–1900), graaf van Lijnden, Arnhem and The Hague, in 1881, bequeathed to his brother-in-law;(1) Johan Willem Frederik (1844–1903),(2) ridder Huyssen van Kattendijke, The Hague, bequeathed to the son of Jan Carel Elias; Johan Maurits Dideric (1864–1930), graaf van Lynden, Huis Keukenhof, Lisse, bequeathed to his wife; Aurelia Elisabeth (1875–1949), gravin van Limburg Stirum, vrouwe van Noordwijkerhout, Huis Keukenhof, Lisse, bequeathed to her son; Jan Carel Elias (1912–2003), graaf van Lynden, sold after 1951 to; [Nystad Antiquairs, Lochem, sold by 1954 to]; Sidney James van den Bergh (1898–1977), Wassenaar, sold 1972 through;(3) [G. Cramer, The Hague, to]; Mr. and Mrs. Edward William Carter, Los Angeles, partial gift and partial sale by the heirs 2009 to; LACMA.
(1) He was made a ridder (knight) in 1814 and in 1818 a graaf (count, earl). For the Van Lynden family, see Keukenhof 2009.
(2) He married Sara Agatha, baroness van Lynden, in 1874.
(3) Sidney James van den Bergh, who was a major collector of seventeenth-century Dutch paintings, was a senior manager of Unilever. In 1959 he served as minister of defense for the Netherlands.
- Westermann, Mariët. A Worldly Art: The Dutch Republic 1585-1718. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1996.
- Baer, Ronni. Class Distinctions: Dutch Painting in the Age of Rembrandt and Vermeer. Boston: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2015.
Walsh, Jr., John., and Cynthis P. Schneider. A Mirror of Nature: Dutch Paintings from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Edward William Carter (Second Edition). Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1992.
- Gifts on the Occasion of LACMA's 50th Anniversary. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2015.
- Luijten, Ger, Peter Schatborn, and Arthur K. Wheelock, Jr. Drawings for Paintings in the Age of Rembrandt. Washington: National Gallery of Art, 2016.
- Weckler, Clara J. Hendrick Avercamp, 1585-1634: Bijgenaamd "de Stomme Van Campen;" en Barent Avercamp, 1612-1679: "Schilders tot Campen." Doornspijk: Davaco, 1979.
- Sutton, Peter C. El Siglo de Oro del Paisaje Holandés. Madrid: Fundación Colección Thyssen-Bornemisza, 1994.
- Lehmbeck, Leah, editor. Gifts of European Art from The Ahmanson Foundation. Vol. 3, Dutch Painting, Flemish Painting, Spanish Painting and Sculpture. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2019.
- Walsh, Amy L. The Mr. and Mrs. Edward Carter Collection of Dutch Paintings. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2019. https://archive.org/details/Carter_Collection_Dutch_Paintings (accessed May 23, 2022).
- Zumaya, Diva. The World Made Wondrous: the Dutch Collector's Cabinet and the Politics of Possession. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2023.
- Hendrick Avercamp: Master of the Ice Scene. Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum, 2009.