Maj. Harry Cuthbert Jeddere Fisher (1885-1934), Littlehampton, Sussex, England (sale, London, Christie's, 10 July 1925, lot 165, "Dead Game with Baskets of Fruit on a Table, in front of which are some vegetables, a basket of dead birds, and cats attacking a peacock; on the left [sic] a gamekeeper holding a boar's head; a view of Antwerp in the background. 79 in. by 133 in.," sold together with lot 166, A Fish Stall, each for £168, to); [Max Rothschild/Sackville Gallery, London].(1) Anonymous (sale, Brussels, Galerie Fievez, 17-18 Dec. 1926, lot 60, pl. IV, as Frans Snyders and Jean van Bockhorst [Jan Boeckhorst], sold with lot 61, Marchands de poissons). Anonymous (2) (sale, Monaco, Sotheby's, 20-21 June 1987, lot 354, as signed lower left, "Snyders," sold for 999,000 Frf).(3) Anonymous (sale, London, 13 Dec. 1996, lot 47, as Snyders and Cornelis de Vos, bought in).(4) [Adam Williams Fine Art, New York, sold 2014 to]; LACMA.
(1) The buyer is listed simply "Rothschild," but that undoubtedly refers to Max Rothschild, a London dealer (not related to the banking family) who founded Sackville Gallery in 1908 with Robert René Meyer-Sée. Max Rothschild operated the gallery until his death in 1939 and often appears as the buyer of Old Master paintings sold in London. See Pamela Fletcher and David Israel, London Gallery Project, 2007; revised September 2012: http://learn.bowdoin.edu/fletcher/London-gallery, accessed 25 July 2016.
(2) Both this lot and lot 355, Le poissonnier et son étal (Fish Market), were said to have been acquired by the parent of the anonymous seller.
(3) Lot 355, Le poissonnier et son étal (Fish Market), sold for 1,110,000 Frf.
(4) The sale did not include the painting's companion, Le poissonnier et son étal (Fish Market), which presumably had gone to a different buyer.
- Gifts on the Occasion of LACMA's 50th Anniversary. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2015.
- Lehmbeck, Leah, editor. Gifts of European Art from The Ahmanson Foundation. Vol. 3, Dutch Painting, Flemish Painting, Spanish Painting and Sculpture. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2019.
Marandel, J. Patrice. Abecedario: Collecting and Recollecting. Los Angeles: Art Catalogues; LACMA, 2017.
King, Jennifer, ed. Vera Lutter: Museum in the Camera. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Munich: DelMonico Books-Prestel, 2020.