Chevalier de Damery (aka Jean-Louis-Antoine, le Valliant de Damery, 1723–1803), Paris, by 1769 (estate sale, Paris, 26–27 Brumaire, An XII [18–19 Nov. 1803], lot 22, sold together with lot 23 for 11 frs. 15 to);(1) [Guy Irlande, Paris]. Marquis de Salamanca (seal with arms of the family on stretcher).(2) Andrew S. Ciechanowiecki (1924–2015), London, by 1973, sold 2000 to; LACMA.
(1) Called "un sujet de Grâces." Lot 22 also included sketches by Loo, Suzanne & les Vieillards and Saint-Pierre.
(2) Probably José de Salamanca (1811–1883), Madrid, a Spanish nobleman, politician, and businessman, who served as finance minister of Spain and was responsible for the expansion of Madrid. He was forced into exile at various points in his career, during which time he resided in Paris. Sales from his collection took place in Paris on 3–6 June 1867 (Pillet) and 25–26 January 1875 (Drouot), and others. Neither this painting nor any other French paintings were in the sales, which included only Spanish, Italian, Flemish, and Dutch paintings.
- Lehmbeck, Leah, editor. Gifts of European Art from The Ahmanson Foundation. Vol. 2, French Painting and Sculpture. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2019.
- Lastic, Georges de. “Les ‘Graces’ de Carle Van Loo.” Bulletin de la Société de l’Histoire de l’Art Français, Paris, 1973 [published 1974]
- Marandel, J. Patrice. French Oil Sketches from an English Collection, Seventeenth, Eighteenth, and Nineteenth Centuries 1973-1975. Houston, TX: The Museum of Fine Arts, 1975.
- Sahut, Marie-Catherine. Carle VanLoo, premier peintre du roi (Nice 1705-Paris 1765) (exh. cat.). Nice: Musée Chéret, 1977
- Sahut, Marie-Catherine, and Nathalie Volle. Diderot et l’art de Boucher à David: Les Salons, 1759-1781. Paris: Hôtel de la Monnaie, 1984
- Wintermute, Alan P. “Inventory of Paintings by the Ten ‘First Painters to the King’ in Public Collections in the United States.” In Colin Bailey, ed., The First Painters of the King: French Royal Taste from Louis XIV to the Revolution (exh. cat.). New York: Stair Sainty Matthiesen, 1985
- Walch, Peter, , Joanna R. Barnes, J. Patrice Marandel. French Oil Sketches and the Academic Tradition. New York : American Federation of Arts in association with the University of Pennsylvania Press, 1994.
- Marandel, J. Patrice. French oil sketches from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 17th century - 19th century. Los Angeles: The Ahmanson Foundation, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2002.