Nicolas de Hénin (1691–1724), Paris; Jean de Julienne (1686–1766), Paris, by June 1730, sold by 1756 to; Germain Louis de Chauvelin, marquis de Grosbois and garde des sceaux (1685–1762), Paris (his sale, 2 June 1762, no. 27, to); Jean-Baptiste Auguste II le Rebours de Saint-Mard (1718–1777), Paris (his sale, Paris, 27 Apr. 1778, lot 31, to); Jean-Baptiste Pierre Lebrun, Paris (his sale, Paris, 10 Dec. 1778, lot 109). Anonymous sale, Paris, 1782. Sir Thomas Baring (1772–1848), London (his sale, London, Christie and Manson, 3 June 1848, lot 84 [sold to "White"]). Andrew James (1793–ca. 1857), London, by descent to his daughter; Sarah Ann James (1829–ca. 1891), London (her sale, London, Christie’s, 20 June 1891, lot 33, to); Samson Wertheimer, London (his sale, London, Christie’s, 19 Mar. 1892, lot 708, to); [Agnew’s, London, sold in 1892 to]; Edward Guinness (1847–1927), 1st Earl of Iveagh, Kenwood House, Hampstead, upon his death to his son; Rupert Edward Cecil Lee Guinness (1874–1967), 2nd Earl of Iveagh, upon his death to his daughter; Lady Brigid Ness (1920–1995), upon her death, sold to; [Simon Dickinson, Ltd., London, sold 1999 to]; LACMA.
- Wine, Humphrey. The Eighteenth Century French Paintings. London: National Gallery Company, 2018.
- Lehmbeck, Leah, editor. Gifts of European Art from The Ahmanson Foundation. Vol. 2, French Painting and Sculpture. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2019.
- Padiyar, Satish. Fragonard: Painting Out of Time. London: Reaktion Books, 2020.
- Watteau at Work: La Suprise. Los Angeles: J. Paul Getty Museum, 2021.
- Jackall, Yuriko, Philippe Bordes, Jack Hinton, Melissa Hyde, Joseph J. Rishel, and Pierre Rosenberg. America Collects Eighteenth-Century French Painting. Washington: National Gallery of Art, 2017.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art. New York: Thames and Hudson, 2003.
Marandel, J. Patrice. Abecedario: Collecting and Recollecting. Los Angeles: Art Catalogues; LACMA, 2017.