Arnason, H.H., and Marla F. Prather. History of Modern Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, Photography. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1998.
- Gifts on the Occasion of LACMA's 50th Anniversary. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2015.
- Dübe, Annemarie and Wolf-Dieter Dübe. Erich Heckel: das graphische Werk. New York: E. Rathenau, 1964.
- Reed, Orrel P., German expressionist art: the Robert Gore Rifkind Collection: prints, drawings, illustrated books, periodicals, posters. Exhibition Catalogue. Los Angeles: Frederick S. Wight Art Gallery, University of California, Los Angeles, 1977.
- Chipp, Herschel B. and Karin Breuer. The Human Image in German Expressionist Graphic Art From the Robert Gore Rifkind Foundation. Berkeley: University Art Museum, Berkeley, 1981.
Thiem, Gunther. Prints by Erich Heckel and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff: A Centenary Celebration. Los Angeles County Museum of Art: Los Angeles, 1985.
- Price, Lorna. Masterpieces from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1988.
Davis, Bruce. German Expressionist Prints and Drawings: The Robert Gore Rifkind Center for German Expressionist Studies. Los Angeles, CA: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1989; Munich, Germany: Prestel, 1989.
Benson, Timothy O., et al. Expressionist Utopias: Paradise, Metropolis, Architectural Fantasy. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1993.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art. New York: Thames and Hudson, 2003.
- Bindman, David and Henry Louis Gates, Jr., general eds. The Image of the Black in Western Art, vol. 5, pt. 1. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press; In collaboration with the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research; Houston: Menil Collection, 2014.
- Muchnic, Suzanne. LACMA So Far: Portrait of a Museum in the Making. San Marino, California: Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, 2015.
- Benson, Timothy O. and Andrea Gyorody. A New Generation of Creators: Selections from The Robert Gore Rifkind Center for German Expressionist Studies. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2017.