The artist (estate sale, Paris, Hôtel Drouot, 15-17 May 1865, no. 11, sold for 1,600 F to); Charles Paravey, Paris (estate sale, Paris, Hôtel Drouot, 13 April 1878, no. 25, sold for 1,000 F). Mme Raynaud, Paris. Anonymous (sale, Paris, Hôtel Drouot, 4 December 1973, no. 116). Andrew Ciechanowiecki Collection, London, by 1980, sold 2000 to; LACMA.More...
- Kolb, Marthe. Ary Scheffer et son temps, 1795-1858. Paris: Boivin & Cie, 1937
- The Changing Image: Aspects of Nineteenth-Century French Art. Peoria, IL, Lakeview Museum of Arts and Sciences, 1980. catalogue by J. Patrice Marandel (published in Lakeview Museum Bulletin 2, no. 2 )
- Ewals, Leo. Ary Scheffer: Sa vie et son oeuvre. PhD thesis Catholic University of Nijmegen [now Rabound Univ. Nijmegen], the Netherlands, 1987
- Walch, Peter, , Joanna R. Barnes, J. Patrice Marandel. French Oil Sketches and the Academic Tradition. New York : American Federation of Arts in association with the University of Pennsylvania Press, 1994.
- Marandel, J. Patrice. French oil sketches from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 17th century - 19th century. Los Angeles: The Ahmanson Foundation, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2002.